How can your organization better address situations and improve etiquette?
Lisa Phillips, president of Three Paths HR Consulting, LLC. wrote a helpful article on workplace etiquette and gives us 10 steps in doing so.
1. Develop appropriate policies and procedures
2. Train managers to respond appropriately to violations of workplace etiquette.
3. Include training on etiquette during orientation
4. Develop a culture of mutual respect, with management defining the norm for the organization.
5. Deal swiftly with managers who violate etiquette guidelines.
6. Establish multiple avenues for conflict resolution
7. Provide training on etiquette that incorporates role playing (listening, negotiation, stress management)
8. Develop an awards program for employees who exhibit excellence, leadership and civility.
9. Tailor interventions to the specific workplace
10. Bring in a consultant or specialist if the issue is to difficult to handle internally.
Special thanks to Lisa Phillips, “The ins and outs of workplace etiquette” published in Associations Now June 2011 edition.